Sunday, April 19, 2015

Spiral Galaxy Pillow

I finished up the second installment of my springtime throw pillow project today. Or at least I think I have.

This pattern knits up much faster than I thought it would. And used much less yarn. It's a pretty simple three-round pattern. Increases happen in every one of the 15 segments on each round, but decreases happen in only two out of three rounds. This makes the spirals fan out in a rather gradual manner. Basically, you just keep this up until there are 17 stitches in each segment. Oh, and then you do the whole thing again for the second side, of course.

Putting it together started out rather tedious (I had 255 stitches to bind off), and then, about halfway round, descended into downright chaos. The two sides are joined with a 3-needle bind off. Usually, this is done on the wrong side of the work. But since you can't really knit on the inside of a soon-to-be enclosed space, this seam is exposed. About halfway around, I put the pillow form in. And then I happened to look down to see that I hadn't quite caught one of the stitches on the backside about 20 stitches earlier (caught with a greenish clip stitch marker in the picture). So I had to unseam backwards, while trying to keep the building pressure of the pillow form from popping the edge stitches out. I grabbed some DPNs to assist in corralling everything back together. I wanted to yell "clamp!" Like some surgeon on TV. Instead, I stopped for a few calming deep breaths and a picture before moving on. Disaster averted. Did I mention that the cables have started separating from the old Knit Picks interchangeable needles I got that when I first started knitting? That also involved over 40 dropped stitches and dropped profanities...

But all's well that ends well. And I think this is mostly finished. I still think this needs a big fat decorative button in the middle. I bought some wooden ones that I thought might do, but they're clearly the wrong type. They need to be the kind with the securing ring behind, not with holes visible from the front. And the yarn I have won't be able to withstand the springy force of this pillow form. So I'm thinking of taking it to an upholsterer for some guidance -- or to perhaps just do it for me. I'm not proud.

So, two pillows down -- one (or maybe two?) more to go. And I need to get back to those Moorish Stripe Socks.

6 comments:

  1. You totally do not need an upholsterer. You just need the right button and a good needle. What say we shop for that button at a certain upcoming event? Something unique and handmade might be just the right cherry on this delectable sundae. (Now your pillow makes me think of soft serve. Thanks.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay -- I'd almost talked myself out of it, but you (and Mary -- see below) are right. I like her idea of a glass button. I need a shank button. I also saw this cool video that showed how to do this cool upholstery slip knot maneuver -- it requires something called "waxed upholstery thread" I believe. I'm getting excited!

      Delete
  2. My goodness but that finished pillow is lovely - I instantly "saw" a glass button at its gorgeous centre. I also instantly decided to steal that "clamp!" scene for my mind's eye when in knitting trouble of my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your idea of a glass button! I'm going to look for one (see above) when I'm at a certain Mid-Atlantic State's Ruminant Fiber Festival in a few weeks!

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful! I agree with the above on the glass button, it just needs a finishing touch and you'll like it more. It's technically still a WIP...can't wait to see the FO ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll have my eye out for the perfect button!

      Delete