Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sit on a Cushion

This weekend, I managed to sew a fine seam, but it wasn’t all strawberries, sugar and cream.

I managed to seam up the second sleeve, and I did much better than the first. On the first, I had to do a bit of 2-to-3 seaming at the end to make everything come out right, due to earlier sloppiness. But I managed to get the second one to come out perfectly. If you look at the two edge stitches that got tucked into the seam, you can see that either my first or last stitch of each row is way tidier than the other. I’ve never noticed that before. However, the seam looks quite nice from the wrong side. These sleeves are rather slender and much more fitted than I’m used to, but they’re sure to keep me warm in my chilly wintry library. That’s the plan, anyway.

But sleeves don’t really work unless they’re attached to the sweater (with the possible exception of the look rocked by Brittany of Glee), so I still had some seaming to do. This was slightly more problematic. Despite some good advice I received, I still had an issue because the sleeve cap shifts from a selvedge edge to a cast-off edge. The sleeve caps were sewn into the body sides which are all selvedge edge. At some point. I had to shift seaming strategies, and there’s a little bump where there this shift occurred. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to minimize it with a bit of judicious steam blocking.

I got started on the very strange (to me) button band last night. That shouldn’t take much time at al to knit. But it’s sewn on, so there is another seam in my future. Here’s hoping I can manage to sew it finely.

1 comment:

  1. This is looking really great - and just in time for a hot steamy Texas summer! :)

    ReplyDelete